Education and academic degrees
PhD. Researcher (Yousef Jameel Scholarship holder), Centre for Near and Middle Eastern Studies (CNMS), Marburg University, Germany.
Title: The Legend of Prester John and its Political Implications on the Conflict between the Muslim East and Latin West (12th -16th centuries).
M.A. of Arts in History, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany.
Master thesis entitled: Tibnin (Toron) in the Age of the Crusades (AH 498-664/ AD 1105-1266).
Pre-Masters in History of the Middle Ages, Damanhour University, with Distinction.
B.A. of Arts in History. Faculty of Arts, Alexandria University, Damnahuor Branch, Egypt.
Work experience and academic positions
PhD. Researcher, Centre for Near and Middle Eastern Studies (CNMS), Marburg University, Germany.
Lecturer of Medieval History, Contact person of the Erasmus students at Dep. of History, Faculty of Arts, Damnhour University, Egypt. He taught the following Courses to the Erasmus Students at Damanhour University; "The influence of the Islamic civilization on Europe in the middle ages," and “Islamic History of Egypt: Arabic texts in English Translation in Acdemic Year 2014-2015.
Master student at Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany, as a holder for Erasmus Mundus Scholarship.
Teaching and Research Assistant of Medieval History, Dep. of History, Faculty of Arts, Damnhour University, Egypt.
Duties: Assisting in oral exams for undergraduate students- Assisting undergraduate students in conducting their research- TA in History of the Crusades, History of Medieval Europe and the Mamluks, Mongols and Europe. Conducting seminars, discussion groups, and sessions for students to supplement lectures- Assisting in exams preparation and its administration.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Arbeits- und Forschungsschwerpunkte / focus of work and researchArbeits- und Forschungsschwerpunkte / focus of work and research
Ahmed Sheir is a researcher in the history of the Crusades and the history of the relations between Latin West and Muslim East (12th-16th centuries). He is currently a Ph.D. Scholar, Yousef Jameel Scholarship holder, Dept. of Islamic Studies, Centre for Near and Middle Eastern Studies (CNMS), Marburg University, Germany. His PhD. entitled, "The Legend of Prester John and its Political Implications on the Conflict between the Muslim East and Latin West (12th -16th centuries),” is supervised by Prof. Albrecht Fuess. Mr. Sheir thinks that it is essential to study not only the political-military history of the Crusades, but also the history of thought and culture behind the conflict, as well as the anthropology and mythology of the Crusades. His PhD. dissertation examines the impact of Prester John Legend on the hostility and the détente that marked relations between Muslims and Crusaders, East and West during the 12th -16th centuries.
Artikel / articles
- "Between Peace and War: The Peaceful Memory of the Crusades between the Middle Ages and the Modern Arabic-Egyptian Writings"; In: Studies in Peace-building History between East and West through the Middle Ages and Modern Era, eds. Aly Elsayed , Abdallah Al-Naggar, Ahmed Sheir (Cairo: Sanabil Bookshop, 2019), pp. 145-164.
- "From a Christian Saviour to a Mongol Ruler: The influence of Prester John's Glamour on the Muslim-Crusader Conflict in the Levant, 1140s-1250s,” in RiMe. Rivista dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Europa Mediterranea (Journal of the Institute of History of Mediterranean Europe), Vol. 3 n. s. (December 2018) , pp. 27-43, http://rime.cnr.it/index.php/rime/article/view/53
- “The Political Role of Tibnin “Toron” and its Crusader Rulers of Humphrey’s Dynasty in the Latin East 1105-1187 AD/ 498-583 AH” in Dirāsāt fī tārīkh al-'usūr al wusta (studies in the midlevel history) eds. Mohamed 'Aūaḍ & Alaa Alnahas ( Egypt: Bostan Elma'erafa: 2018), pp. 211-237.
- "The Crusader-Muslim Conflict between Imagination and Reality: How Prester John's Legend Influenced the Muslim-Crusader Conflict (1145-1221 AD/ 539-618 AH)"; in Rewaq History and Heritage Journal, Issue 4, issue, (Doha: 2017), pp. 21-33.
- “The Legend of Prester John versus the Peace Negotiations between the Muslims and the Crusaders in Damietta (1218-1221/ 615-618 AH),” in Relations between East and West, ed. Ali El-Sayed, Luciano Gallinari and Abdullah Al-Naggar (Italy & Egypt: CNR& ASRT, 2017), pp. 224- 247.
- "The Armenian Mongol Alliance against the Mamluks and the Issue of the seizure of Damascus, Jerusalem and Al-Khalil as Stated by Arab Sources 1299-1303 / 699-703 AH)," in Researches in the History of the middle Ages, eds. Mohammed ‘Aūaḍ, Ali al-Sayed, (Alexandria: Bustan Almaerifa , 2016), Pp. 533-554. (In Arabic)
- “Demographic, Socio-Economic an Architectural Structure of Tibnīn in the Age of the Crusades,” Historical kan Periodical. - Vol. (8) Issue (29), (September 2015), Pp. 166 – 177.
- “The Military Role of the Fief of Tibnīn against the Muslims in the Age of the Crusades (AH 498-583/ AD 1105-1187),” Journal of Religious Culture (Journal für Religionskultur), Nr. 188 (Feb. 2014), pp. 1-17.
- Article Review: (In Arabic), “أرمينيا وعلاقاتها السياسية بكلٍ من البيزنطيين والمسلمين (33-457 ھ/653-1064م)” للمؤلف د. عبد الرحمن محمد العبدُ الغني (Armenia and its Political Relations with both Byzantines and Muslims, Abdul Rahman Al-Abd Al-Ghani ), ( Kuwait, 1989), in Asiaalwsta, April, 2012,
http://www.asiaalwsta.com/bookDetails.asp?bookID=12539. Replublsihed in Aztagarabic, Feb. 2016, http://www.aztagarabic.com/archives/18749
Bücher / Books
- Aly Elsayed , Abdallah Al-Naggar, Ahmed Sheir (Edt.): Studies in Peace-building History between East and West through the Middle Ages and Modern Era. Cairo: Sanabil Bookshop.
- Researches in the History of the Middle Ages, Alexandria: Dar Kunooz, 2016, as a Co-Editor with Mohamed ‘Aūaḍ and Aly El-Sayed.
- Ahmed Sheir, the Fief of Tibnin (Toron) and Its Castle in the Age of the Crusades AD (1105-1266 / AH 498- 664): A Study of Its Economic, Political and Military Role (Norderstedt, Germany: GRIN Verlag.
- The Fief of Tibnin between the Muslims and the Crusaders 1229-1266 / 583-664, Norderstedt, Germany: GRIN Verlag GmbH, 2014. (E-book and printed book)
Ongoing & under publication
- An aspect of Peaceful Correspondences during the Crusades Versus the Modern Memory and Present Perception of the Crusades in the Arab Writing of the 19th & 20th Centuries, in the second volume of the research project of the history of Peacebuilding, CNR- Italy & ASR-Egypt, 2018.
- The Crusading-Muslim Conflict between Myth and Reality: How the Figure of Prester John as a Mongol Ruler Affected the Crusades during the first half of the 13th century, to be presented to Ostour Journal of Historical Studies.
Interviews and magazine articles
- Nov. 2017, TV interview history of the Relations between Islam and Europe, at the Nile Culture Channel, TV show: Hadawtat Misria (حدوتة مصرية). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSldERh80Xc&t=2097s
- June 2017, Salah al-Din between Zidane's Tweets and the Historical Sources, Rosaelyoussef, http://www.rosaelyoussef.com/news/details/275140, the title in Arabic is:
صلاح الدين الأيوبي بين تغريدات زيدان وروايات المصادر التاريخية
- May 2015, TV interview, The Crusades and Its Memory, the Nile Culture Channel, TV show with Nehad Alhideny.
Vorträge und Workshops / Presentations
- Organizer with Prof. Albrecht Fuess, International workshop on the Relations between East and West during the Mameluke Era in Egypt and Syria (1250-1517), in Centre of Near and Middle Eastern Studies, Marburg University, Germany.
- Arab Graduate Student Conference in the West 2018, in Doha Institute for Postgraduate Studies & Arab Centre for research and policy studies, Doha, Qatar, Talk entitled,” The Crusading-Muslim Conflict between Myth and Reality: How the Figure of Prester John as a Mongol Ruler Affected the Crusades (12th –13th centuries).”
- International workshop on Peace-building between East and West (11th-15th century), at the National Research Council (CNR), Rome-Italy. Presenting a paper entitled, “Aspects of Peaceful Correspondences between Muslim Rulers and Latin Kings during the Crusades versus Memory and Perception of the Crusades in the Modern Era.
- Giving a lecture entitled, “Memory and Perception of the Crusades in Arab Culture and Writings of the Modern Era.,” at the Archaeological Society of Alexandria, Egypt.
- The British Commission for Military History's (BCMH), Tenth Annual New Research in Military History Conference (NRC), theme, "The Many Faces of War: Changing Perspectives on Armed Conflict" at St. John's College, Cambridge University. Giving a presentation entitled” A New Face of War and Peace: How Prester John legend influenced the Muslim-Crusader Conflict of the Fifth Crusade (1218-1221/ 615-618 AH).
- Member of the German Invited Group to visit al Alazhar University, Egypt, doing a roundtable discussion and meeting the Dean of Faculty of Islamic Studies, the President and Vice-President of the Global organization of the Alazhar alumni.
- Co-Organizer of a seminar and lecture entitled, Islam in Europe: How the historical sources shaped the mutual conception since the beginning of Islam up to today, Prof. Albrecht Fuess, in Centre of the Middle East and Political studies, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
- Co-Organizer with Prof. Heba Saad, Faculty of Tourism, Alexandria University, and Prof. Aly Alsayed, Damanhour University, International Workshop and Roundtable between Egyptian Scholars and Prof. Albrecht Fuess, Marburg University entitled, Discussion of the medieval studies and relations between West and East, in Pharos Club, Alexandria Egypt.
- International workshop at CNMS, Marburg entitled “Because of the war.” Tracing transformations in / of the Syrian field of cultural production.” Attendance only.
- Egyptian-Italian conference; Peace-Building Between East and West XI-XVI, ASRT EGYPT & CNR ITALY, Supreme Center for Culture, Egypt, Oct. 2016), with paper entitled: “The Legend of Prester John versus the Peace Negotiations between the Muslims and the Crusaders in Damietta (1218-1221/ 615-618 AH).”
- Diversity of Crusading’ conference of the SSCLE (society for the study of the crusades and Latin east) in Odense, Denmark, with presentation entitled: The Imaginary Legend of Prester John and the Crusaders in the Latin East (11th -12th century).”
- Othello's Island 2016, The 4th International Conference of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, 17 to 20 March 2016, Nicosia • Cyprus, presentation entitled: “The Friendship and Peaceful Relations between the Muslims and the Crusaders during the Age of the Crusades.”
- 14th International Conference on Humanities and Social Science (HUSOC), Place: Flora Grand Hotel, Al Rigga Rd, Deira, Near Al Rigga Metro Station, United Arab Emirates, Given talk bout the Legend and the Crusades.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Geförderte Projekte / funded research projectsGeförderte Projekte / funded research projects
2019 - two years
Bilateral Project CNR-Italy /ASRT-Egypt: Intercultural Influence between East and West: 11th-21st centuries; Intercultural influences were witnessed between East and West during Medieval, Modern and Contemporary times. The centuries between the 11th till the 21st were the apex of relations between the East and West through the Crusades, commercial relations, and political treaties as well as in the cultural sphere. Such relations resulted in mutual cultural influences that were manifested in almost all aspects of the daily life.
Research project between the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR) in Italy and Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT), Egypt, entitled: “History of Peace-Building: Peaceful Relations between East and West (11th – 15th century). Funded by the ASRT and CNR.
Yousef Jameel Scholarship, CNMS, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany.
Visiting postgraduate researcher, Georgetown University, Doha.
Erasmus Munds Medaster Scholarship, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany.
Ideal Student of the Faculty of Arts and the Alexandria University, Branch of Damanhur.
Awarded the top-ranking student in the cultural competition among the Egyptian universities, on a research paper entitled "Peace in Islam."
Member of Marburg University Research Academy (Germany).
Member of the Mediävistenverband organizes (Germany).
Member of the Arab Society of the Byzantine studies (Egypt).
Member of the Egyptian Society for Historical Studies (Egypt).
Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East (SSCLE, UK).
Member of al-Rahma organization for charity and social services (Egypt).
1 The email addresses are only selectable in the intranet. To complete an email address, merge following string ".uni-marburg.de" or "uni-marburg.de" to the end of the email address.