Main Content

Finance and funding

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Which fees do you charge?Which fees do you charge?

    Information on fees charged by The University of Kent are available on its finance website. Whilst studying at the University of Kent you will pay two thirds of the Home/EU or International fee (depending on fee status). Please check the University of Kent website for further information on fees in Kent here.

    The University of Marburg does not charge tuition fees. However, students at Marburg do have to pay administrative fees in the amount of about 300 Euros per semester. These administrative fees include contributions to the student union and free public  transport for the whole state of Hesse and adjacent cities like Heidelberg and Goettingen. Whilst studying at Kent University, you only have to pay a reduced administrative fee of about 82 Euros per semester to Marburg University. In case you still wish to use the semester ticket of Hesse during this time period, you may do so by paying the full administrative fee.

    The University of Marburg charges small fees for elective German language modules or the intensive language and preparation course in September. The Centre for Conflict Studies collaborates with the Academy for Conflict Transformation. The Academy charges fees for their modules, which can also be taken by students of the International Joint Degree Programme. However, these modules are non-obligatory and elective. Marburg University does not charge fees for the required modules.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Is there financial support available?Is there financial support available?

    Please check the University of Kent website for information on scholarships.

    The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers information and advice on scholarships for German students who want to study abroad and international students who want to study in Germany. 

    German language speakers can also search the databases of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Stifterverband.

    We encourage all applicants and registered students to apply for scholarships. However, be aware that most scholarship schemes are heavily oversubscribed.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Can I expect to have access to additional funding sources after registering?Can I expect to have access to additional funding sources after registering?

    No. Neither Kent nor Marburg have discretionary funds. Please make sure to have secured enough funding before registering. Unfortunately, we also do not have hardship grants, which we can offer to our students.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Can I receive an Erasmus exchange grant?Can I receive an Erasmus exchange grant?

    Since this is an integrated Joint degree programme, there is no Erasmus funding available.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Are there loans available? Are there loans available? 

    Please check the University of Kent finance website for information on loans for EU/UK and international students. Information on publicly subsidized or commercial loan programmes in Germany is available here.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Am I allowed to work while studying? Am I allowed to work while studying? 

    International students residing in Germany and holding a student visa or a temporary residence permit can work up to 90 full days (or 180 half-days) per year. Jobs are available at the university in student/academic assistant roles, in restaurants and catering services, in support to disabled town residents etc. It is however difficult to find a job without a working knowledge of the German language, and student jobs will rarely pay enough to cover all of your living costs.

    As to working in England, as an international student (non-EU) you can work part-time during term time (up to 20 hours a week) and full time during the vacations provided that you have the correct stamp in your passport and have applied for entry clearance. Still, in order to apply for a visa you will need to show that you can support yourself during your studies without having to work.

    An important thing to keep in mind that the study programme of this degree is very intensive compared to other similar degrees, and combining work with studies may put studies in a disadvantageous position and affect your academic grades.