Main Content

Funding and Scholarships

DAAD Scholarships

The Centre for Conflict Studies at Marburg University has been awarded a grant by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). This grant allows us to offer six scholarships of 935 Euros each per month for the period of seven months (September 2023 - March 2024) plus a lump sum for traveling (125 EUR) during the period of study at the University of Kent. Both German and international students are eligible to apply for internal DAAD scholarships.

Application Requirements:

  • Letter of motivation of no more than 500 words (in English) including a brief outline about research ideas you want to follow during your study and a brief statement specifying where you intend to reside during the scholarship period
  • Copy of Bachelor diploma/certificate (attach English translation, if necessary)
  • Copy of Transcript of Records
  • Short summary of three relevant term papers, each max. 200 words

The documents must be submitted by in one pdf document by 15 July 2023.

If you have questions regarding the DAAD scholarships please contact .

Auslandsbafög and Alternatives

German nationals can also apply for funding by the "Auslandsbafoeg" funding scheme. If you qualify for funding, the tuition fees at Kent University can fully be covered by a grant (i.e. non-repayable funding) from this scheme. We strongly advise German nationals to apply. Further information is available here. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers information and advice on scholarships for German students who want to study abroad and international students who want to study in Germany.  German language speakers can also search the databases of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Stifterverband.  We encourage all applicants and registered students to apply for a scholarship. However, be aware that most scholarship schemes are heavily oversubscribed.


Non-German students are usually able to work up 90 days (or 180 half days) per year, depending on visa requirements, while in Germany. Students have the possibility to work as student assistants at the University.


EU students can apply for Erasmus Placements Grants. German students can also apply for  PROMOS grants,  ASA grants, Carlo Schmid grants,  AuslandsBaföG, Anke-Reese-stipends or Heinrich J. Klein grants. We recommend getting in touch with your home institutions or governments in order to explore other potential sources of funding.

Please note: Neither Kent nor Marburg can offer discretionary funding. Please make sure to have secured enough funding before registering. Unfortunately, we do not have hardship grants.