Main Content

Residence Permit

Before your entry visa runs out you must apply for a residence permit at your local "Ausländerbehörde” (Immigration or Foreigners’ Office).

The Immigration Office in Marburg is responsible for issuing residence permits.

Currently, you can submit your application for a residence permit electronically or in writing by mail.  Please download the application form from the Immigration Office’s website, complete it, and send it with all the supporting documents back to or by mail. The responsible official will then contact you and invite you to an appointment. For certain residence titles (e.g. study, employment) it is possible to apply online at the website of the Immigration Office.

You will usually have to send the following documents to the Immigration Office:

  • Completed application for a residence permit (available at the Immigration Office’s website)
  • Valid passport
  • Biometric passport photo (should not be older than 6 months)
  • Proof that you can support yourself financially during your research stay (fellowship award letter or employment contract)
  • Proof of valid health insurance
  • Hosting agreement (if applicable)
  • For marital partners/children: certified German or English translations of marriage and birth certificates
  • Proof of registration (Meldebestätigung) from the Residents’ Registration Office
  • Issuance fees:

In some cases, additional documentation may be necessary.

Note: If you would like assistance in dealing with these matters do not hesitate to approach the Welcome Center.

If you live in Marburg, you must register with the local authorities in Marburg. If you live outside of Marburg, you must register with the regional authorities of the Landkreis Marburg-Biedenkopf.


Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Marburg

Frauenbergstrasse 35, 1.

35039 Marburg

Telefon: 06421 201-1010



Ausländerbehörde des Landkreises Marburg-Biedenkopf

Im Lichtenholz 60, 35043 Marburg




This website is for information purposes only and the statements are not legally binding. Please contact the authorities to clarify which regulations apply in your case.

Further information