Main Content

Information for Refugees and Asylum Seekers on Pursuing University Studies

Paths to University Studies

Depending on the individual educational background there are various opportunities for refugees and asylum seekers for pursuing studies at Philipps-Universität Marburg (UMR). To be admitted to UMR you will need a so-called university entrance qualification (HZB), for example the Abitur, Matura, A-Levels, High School Diploma, Baccalaureat, Atestat, Gaocao and others. Admission to university studies is also linked to linguistic and subject-related requirements. First there will be a review of your documents to see whether or not you can study with your current qualifications at a university in Germany and whether or not your German proficiency is adequate; then it will be determined which subject areas you may study at a university.

Below we would like to provide you with information about options for pursuing university studies and familiarize you with the admissions requirements at the UMR.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Advice for Refugees and Asylum SeekersAdvice for Refugees and Asylum Seekers

    For refugees and asylum seekers who had to leave their home for a wide range of reasons, commencing university study can often present a particular challenge. Philipps-Universität would like to make options for commencing university studies more transparent by providing excellent advising services.

    The following contact person is available for advising services:

    Mark Wiebe

    Biegenstraße 10
    Room 02012
    Office hours: Thursdays, 9 a.m. - 12 noon

    On 24.8. and 31.8.2017 there are no office hours!

    Please bring all relevant documents you have to the advising meeting. For example:

    Official form of identification Proof of language proficiency (e.g., certificate, examination certificate)
    Proof of successful school, training or university completion

    School certificate (e.g., Attestat, Baccalaureat, high school diploma, IB-Diploma)

    other documents that entitle you to admission to university study in your home country (e.g., pre-university course, university entrance examination)

    Graduation, proof of completed semesters of study, transcript of records

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Requirements for Admission to StudyRequirements for Admission to Study

    Admissions requirements depend on several factors and vary by home country, field of study and academic credentials. Essentially an applicant must meet the follow requirements for admission to undergraduate studies (Bachelor, Staatsexamen, Lehramt):

    • Proof of very good knowledge of German that is equal to or higher than having successfully completed level C1.
    • The certificate that entitles you to pursue university studies in your home country or certificates, grade reports, or transcripts reflecting university studies you have previously completed if you have already completed university course work.
    • Proof of health insurance.
    • Proof of current residency status or residency permit.
      For acceptance to a master’s program you must normally have completed a bachelor's degree or an equivalent university or technical university degree in a related field of study. You can look up which prior degree qualifies you for admission to a master’s degree program of study in the information portal for the recognition of foreign academic credentials (anabin).

      For further information on the application and admissions process for undergraduate degree programs please visit our web sitefor foreign applicants or come to the counseling center for refugee and asylum seekers for a personal consultation. An overview of degree programs at UMR is listed here.

      For acceptance to a master’s program you must normally have completed a bachelor's degree or an equivalent university or technical university degree in a related field of study. On anabin you can also look up which prior degree qualifies you for admission to a master’s degree program of study or you can inquire personally during our open office hours.
  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Attending the University's Preparatory Center (Studienkolleg)Attending the University's Preparatory Center (Studienkolleg)

    If you do not meet the above requirements for pursuing studies at a German university, you may be able to satisfy the requirements by attending language and specialization courses at the Central Hessian University Preparatory Center (Studienkolleg).

    In the preparatory language courses, which conclude with the German language exam for university admission (DSH), you will be prepared linguistically for your specific field of study at the university. You will learn methods of scholarly work, especially the techniques of text analysis, scholarly writing and good note-taking during lectures.

    The specialized courses at the Studienkolleg are the bridge between the education you received in your home country and your studies at a German university. In addition to acquiring field-specific knowledge you will also become familiar with the key rules of academic communication. You’ll complete training on techniques and methods of scholarly work, practice presentation techniques and become familiar with the various fields of scholarly communication and work methods.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Information on Rights of ResidenceInformation on Rights of Residence

    Before applying you should check whether you are entitled to remain in Germany and under which form of residency permit (e.g., Gestattung, Duldung, Aufenthaltstitel), or whether you can obtain a residency permit and if you are allowed to remain in Marburg to pursue studies. Be sure to contact the local authorities and please note that student status may also affect the financing of your livelihood.

  • Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Costs of Studying at UMRCosts of Studying at UMR

    Those who wish to enroll for study at UMR must pay a so-called semester fee, which changes from semester to semester. The semester fee for the current Wintersemester is 322,16. In the form of a student ID you will also receive the so-called Semesterticket, with which you can travel for free with IC, RE, and RB trains, subway, commuter trains and by bus throughout the RMV and NVV public transportation network regions for the entire semester.
    Please note that student status may also affect the financing of your livelihood.

Get information