Main Content

Residents' Registration

Everyone who moves into a house or flat in Germany is obliged to register. So within a week of entering the country you and any family members accompanying you will have to register at the “Einwohnermeldeamt” (Residents’ Registration Office) responsible for the area in which you live.

At the Residents’ Registration Offce you will be given:

  • “Meldebescheinigung”: This is a paper confirming that you have registered. You will need official proof of registration if you wish to extend your visa, for example, or open a bank account.
  • “Lohnsteuerkarte”: This is an income tax card and you will need it if you have an employment contract with a university and intend to draw a salary.

Transferring/cancelling registration:

If you move house during your stay you will have to go to the local Residents’ Registration Offie at your new place of residence to transfer your registration, i.e. to register your new address. When you leave Germany at the end of your research visit you must cancel your registration at the Residents’ Registration Office.


The Marburg Residents’ Registration Office is located in the “Stadtbüro”, a local authority dealing with citizens’ affairs.

Stadtbüro Marburg

Frauenbergstr. 35

35039 Marburg

Tel.: 0 64 21 / 20 18 01 or 20 18 02

In order to register you need:

Opening hours:

Mo. – Wed.: 8.00 am – 5:00 pm

Thu.: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm

Fr.: 8.00 am – 12.00 noon

Further information