Main Content

Application for a master's program

You have achieved a fundamental degree at a different non-German institution.

We appreciate that you have chosen the Philipps-University of Marburg to apply for the master’s program.

The following certificates are required for an application for the master’s program


4 steps for your application via uni-assist

1.Create an online application

  • Register on the uni-assist website. You may use an existing account if you already have one. Do not forget your login data.

2.Online application

  • Answer the basic questions, choose a study program and create an application. You may fill in up to three different applications. If you would like to apply for several study subjects, you have to print each of them.
  • Please fill in every field in the online application. The upload-function allows you to hand in the required documents in advance to your online application. However, you are still required to hand in the required documents in paper form.
  • Please submit your application form electronically.
  • Afterwards, you have to print and send the document via post uni-assist in Berlin.

3. Paying the handling fees

  • The handling fees for an application via uni-assist equal €75.00 for the first university. . The fees for each additional application within the same semester are €30.00. Please send the reception with your application documents.
  • You can find information about transferring the handling fees here:

4. Sending the application to uni-assist

  • Please send your documents to this address:
    Philipps-Universität Marburg
    c/o UNI-ASSIST e. V.
    11507 Berlin


The following documents should be included in your application:

  • The signed application form for the study subject that you would like to study
  • Your first fundamental degree, which enables you to study in the master program. If you already started a study program in your home country, please add certificates or transcripts that you have received so far
  • Evidence of your proficiency in German
  • Evidence of your proficiency of other languages and skills, if this is required for your desired study program (Please have a look at the website of the study program)
  • Documentation of your payment of the handling fees (see step 3)

The first fundamental degree, transcript of records and other certificates have to be handed in as officially authenticated copies. We accept documents in German or English language. Documents written in other languages have to be translated by a sworn translator.

Please do not send original documents!

Application documents cannot be processed if they are sent directly to the Philipps-University of Marburg! Please make sure to send your application to the above address in Berlin! We will only process applications that are filled in completely and turned in on time (date of reception of mail).

You can find the actual deadline here.


What happens after I have applied via uni-assist?

  • Check your application with the help of the "Checklist" from uni-assist
  • The evaluation of your documents may take up to six weeks. The current processing times by uni-assist are published here:
  • If you fulfill all formal requirements, uni-assist will forward your application to us. uni-assist informs you about this step via e-mail.
  • If you do not meet the formal requirements, you will also get an e-mail from uni-assist. uni-assist cannot send your documents back. You may apply again for the next semester.
  • Once uni-assist has forwarded your application to the university, the department in charge will check whether your application also fulfills the admission requirements of content for the specific study programs.
  • If you applied for a non-restricted study program and you fulfill all admission requirements, you will receive a letter of admission with further information. If you applied for a restricted study program, a selection procedure takes place. Letters of admission for those study programs are expected to be send out in mid- or end of August for a winter semester and mid- or end of February for a summer semester.
  • (After uni-assist has forwarded your application, you will receive a letter of admission per post service and E-Mail with further information or a letter of rejection from the University of Marburg.)
  • With a letter of admission you can request a visa. Some embassies also accept the e-mail from uni-assist, confirming your application.
  • If you receive a letter of admission from the University of Marburg, but do not enroll, you have to reapply via uni-assist for the next semester.


Further Information


Further contacts