Application for a master's program
You have achieved a fundamental degree at a different non-German institution.
We appreciate that you have chosen the Philipps-University of Marburg to apply for the master’s program.
The following certificates are required for an application for the master’s program
If you are uncertain whether your first fundamental degree is thematically suitable for the master’s program offered here, please consult the Student Counselling Service of the respecitve master's program (see contact details on the actual websites belonging to the study courses). Please double check if your school is recognized by the German committee (Status: H+) and whether your first degree is equivalent to the bachelor’s programs offered in Germany (class: A3 or higher). The according information can be found on Anabin-Homepage.
This document serves as a certificate for the contents of your previous course of studies. If there is no transcript of records available at your school, please send a similar document including the contents of your previous studies.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Certificate of German language skills (not necessary for German and Austrian applicants)Certificate of German language skills (not necessary for German and Austrian applicants)
Please inform yourself about the required German skills on our website German language skills.
(Attention: For studying German as a Foreign Language, German Linguistics, and Speech Sciences, German skills of a DSH III-level are necessary; for programs marked as "English-Language Programme," no German skills are required).
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Certificates of knowledge and skills regarding the topic of your study course (if required)Certificates of knowledge and skills regarding the topic of your study course (if required)
Usually these certificates relate to foreign language skills. Such skills are usually provided via your report card or a foreign language skills certificate. Proof of knowledge and skills regarding the topic of your study course is usually provided by corresponding certificates.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Documents required for the procedure for determining personal suitability (if required)Documents required for the procedure for determining personal suitability (if required)
The documents to hand in relate to the criteria of the procedure for determining personal suitability (e.g. Curriculum Vitae, letter of motivation, ect.). Please inform yourself in this case via the overview list of master programs before you start your online application. You can click on the program of interest and find out which documents you need to turn in with your application for your specific progam. If necessary, “further certificates/documents” means documents that you think underline your personal suitability for this course of study.
4 steps for your application via uni-assist
1.Create an online application
- Register on the uni-assist website. You may use an existing account if you already have one. Do not forget your login data.
- Answer the basic questions, choose a study program and create an application. You may fill in up to three different applications.
- Please fill in every field in the online application. The upload-function allows you to hand in the required documents in advance to your online application. However, you are still required to hand in the required documents in paper form.
- Please submit your application form electronically.
- Afterwards, you have to print and sign the application form. If you would like to apply for several study subjects, you have to print and sign the form for each of them.
3. Paying the handling fees
- The handling fees for an application via uni-assist equal €75.00 for the first university. . The fees for each additional application within the same semester are €30.00.
- You can find information about transferring the handling fees here: http://www.uni-assist.de/methods-payment.html.
4. Sending the application to uni-assist
- Please send your documents to this address:
c/o UNI-ASSIST e. V.
The following documents should be included in your application:
- The signed application form for the study subject that you would like to study
- Your first fundamental degree, which enables you to study in the master program. If you already started a study program in your home country, please add certificates or transcripts that you have received so far (http://www.uni-assist.de/wissenswertes.html)
- Evidence of your proficiency in German
- Evidence of your proficiency of other languages and skills, if this is required for your desired study program (Please have a look at the website of the study program)
- Documentation of your payment of the handling fees (see step 3)
The first fundamental degree, transcript of records and other certificates have to be handed in as officially authenticated copies. We accept documents in German or English language. Documents written in other languages have to be translated by a sworn translator.
Application documents cannot be processed if they are sent directly to the Philipps-University of Marburg! Please make sure to send your application to the above address in Berlin! We will only process applications that are filled in completely and turned in on time (date of reception of mail).
You can find the actual deadline here.
What happens after I have applied via uni-assist?
- Check your application with the help of the "Checklist" from uni-assist
- The evaluation of your documents may take up to six weeks. The current processing times by uni-assist are published here: http://www.uni-assist.de/news.html.
- If you fulfill all formal requirements, uni-assist will forward your application to us. uni-assist informs you about this step via e-mail.
- If you do not meet the formal requirements, you will also get an e-mail from uni-assist. uni-assist cannot send your documents back. You may apply again for the next semester.
- Once uni-assist has forwarded your application to the university, the department in charge will check whether your application also fulfills the admission requirements of content for the specific study programs.
- If you applied for a non-restricted study program and you fulfill all admission requirements, you will receive a letter of admission with further information. If you applied for a restricted study program, a selection procedure takes place. Letters of admission for those study programs are expected to be send out in mid- or end of August for a winter semester and mid- or end of February for a summer semester.
- (After uni-assist has forwarded your application, you will receive a letter of admission with further information or a letter of rejection from the University of Marburg.)
- With a letter of admission you can request a visa. Some embassies also accept the e-mail from uni-assist, confirming your application.
- If you receive a letter of admission from the University of Marburg, but do not enroll, you have to reapply via uni-assist for the next semester.
- Information about the Studienkolleg and about German courses:
- Studying in Marburg:
- General information about studying and living in Germany, scholarships, etc:
- For technical questions about applying online please use the contact form of the uni-assist-application portal
- after the application deadline has passed, you can check for the current status of the admission procedure [german page]
- For formal questions about the application please write to the master coordination team: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us your application number (if you have one already)!
- For Questions concerning the content of the study program please ask the "Studienfachberatung" (you will find the contact data on the study program's short description website. Find your study program's website here).