Eligibility assessment process - Middle Eastern Politics and Economics (MA)
Documents to be submitted
- Application for admission (online application portal)
- The first, fundamental university degree. If this is not available, a Transcript of Records on the basis of at least 150 credit points (according to ECTS) can alternatively be submitted.
- The Transcript of Records for determining your previous course contents
- Certification of skills in the English language at Level B2 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages of the Council of Europe" [Link to central page for language requirements to be certified]
- Certification of at least 240 hours of instruction (corresponding to 16 semester hours) in Arabic or Turkish or Persian
- Certifications of Arabic or Turkish or Persian skills that exceed the required minimum, as applicable
- Tabular resume of one to two DIN A4 pages, including the title of the bachelor thesis, as applicable, unless it is stated in the Bachelor certificate or in other application documents.
- Certifications about the information in the tabular resume, as applicable.
Criteria for personal disciplinary suitability
Personal disciplinary suitability is evaluated based on the submitted documents, according to the following criteria. A total of up to 20 suitability points can be achieved.
Evaluation of the previous degree
Up to 11 suitability points are assigned for the final grade point average or, if the final grade point average should not be available, a submitted, calculated average grade on the basis of at least 80% of the credit points required for the bachelor's degree, according to the following key:
- decimal grade 0,7 – 0,9 (grade points 15,0 – 14,3): 11 suitability points
- decimal grade 1,0 – 1,3 (grade points 14,2 – 13,0): 10 suitability points
- decimal grade 1,4 – 1,7 (grade points 12,9 – 11,9): 9 suitability points
- decimal grade 1,8 – 2,1 (grade points 11,8 – 10,6): 8 suitability points
- decimal grade 2,2 – 2,5 (grade points 10,5 – 9,5): 7 suitability points
- decimal grade 2,6 – 2,9 (grade points 9,4 – 8,3): 6 suitability points
- decimal grade 3,0 – 3,3 (grade points 8,2 – 7,0): 5 suitability points
- decimal grade 3,4 – 3,7 (grade points 6,9 – 5,9): 4 suitability points
- decimal grade 3,8 – 4,0 (grade points 5,8 – 5,0): 3 suitability points
Evaluation of the language skills
Up to 3 suitability points are assigned for advanced Arabic or Turkish or Persian skills that exceed the required minimum of 240 hours of instruction / 16 semester hours. For each additional 50 hours of language instruction one suitability point is awarded.
Evaluation of the tabular resume
Up to 6 suitability points are assigned for the evaluation of the tabular resume. In the tabular resume the applicant should present her/his disciplinary suitability which is evaluated based on disciplinary, practical and regional competences.
These competences are included in the assessment of the suitability of the applicants and based on the following criteria:
- Subject-related / region-related practical experience (0 to 3 suitability points), e.g. semester abroad / language courses / internships in the region, practical experience in institutions with a regional context
- thematically relevant bachelor thesis (0 to 1 suitability point)
- further thematically relevant major topics (0 to 2 suitability points), e.g. seminar papers, extracurricular activities
An evaluation of the degree of suitability with a total of at least 10 points is prerequisite for admission to the program.