Evangelische Theologie / Protestant Theology (First Theological Examination ["Ecclesiastical Examination"] or Magister/Magistra Theologiae)
Program: Evangelische Theologie / Protestant Theology
Degree: First Theological Examination ("Ecclesiastical Examination") or Magister/Magistra Theologiae (Mag. Theol.)
Program length: 10 semesters / 5 years (300 ECTS points) (plus 2 so-called "Language semesters")
The Evangelische Theologie / Protestant Theology program qualifies you:
- to be able to research and analyze biblical foundations, such as historical present manifestations of the word of God,
- to identify the significance of the Christian theological perspectives in the understanding and constructive design of individual life and societal reality,
- to competently represent what constitutes Christian belief in the different contexts of church and society,
- to bring insights of Protestant theology in today's living environment into constructive conversation.
Two different degrees can be obtained in this program:
- as an academic degree, the department offers the Magister Theologiae. A gradation of the program (Bachelor / Master) is not currently planned in Germany. The study offering is modularized.
- Degree with the First Theological Examination at a national church ("Ecclesiastical Examination"/KEX). This is followed by the second training phase (Vicariate), before transferring to pastoral service in a national church.
An introductory basis module (basic study) and an intermediate module (main study) are studied in the classical theological disciplines of "Old Testament," "New Testament," "Church History," "Systematic Theology / Social Ethics" and "Practical Theology."
These represent the core of the teaching of theological competencies. Fundamental knowledge of non-Christian religions (basis module "History of Religion") is essential.
Interdisciplinary and additional expansion modules offer the opportunity to specialize in accordance with your personal goals and interests.
While many graduates choose to pursue pastoral service, theologians who do not want to enter pastoral service have excellent employment prospects in fields outside of the church, such as
- in educational institutions and adult education,
- in cultural institutions and the media,
- in social fields or welfare work,
- in human resources and insurance,
- in therapeutic counseling,
- in administrative institutions,
- in research.
Required university degree General higher education entrance qualification or subject-related higher education entrance qualification or master’s certificate and comparable certificates from advanced professional training or professional qualifications [German page] Certifications of program-specific knowledge and skills to be submitted prior to admission German skills:
Other language skills:
If these language skills have not been obtained by the time of admission, they can be acquired at the beginning of the study program. The basic study program can be extended by up to 2 semesters in order to acquire the required language skills.
Admission Mode None
Technical questions about your application
Content-related questions about the program
Dipl.-Pol. Daniela Linke
Lahntor 3 (Old University)
Room 02 019
Office hours during the lecture period: Mon + Thu + Fri from 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
(Attention: please see posted notice)
Formal questions about your application
Tel.: +49 6421/28 22222
Tel.: +49 6421/28 22222
Office hours: Mondays - Fridays 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Central European Time)