Klassische Archäologie / Classical Archaeology (Master of Arts)
Program: Klassische Archäologie / Classical Archaeology
Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
Program length: 2 years / 4 semesters (120 ECTS points)
The Klassische Archäologie / Classical Archaeology master's program deals with the material remnants of classical Greek and Roman cultures from the 2nd Century to the end of the antiquity period in the 6th Century A.D. This also includes a significant number of works whose high artistic importance was considered exemplary for all later epochs. The goal of Classical Archaeology is to reconstruct classical cultural and intellectual history throughout the course of epochs.
The program offers you:
- an intensive expansion of specialized knowledge in the field of classical Greek and Roman culture (in-depth modules)
- the teaching of skills in public relations work, museum didactics and archaeology field research, as well as documentation techniques (supplementary module)
intensive discipline and scientifically based training that opens up a variety of other professional fields
The Klassische Archäologie / Classical Archaeology master's program opens up professional fields which go beyond those of a bachelor's degree. Instructive scientific work is more the focus here than practical work. The master's degree enables you to enter a broadly diversified range of careers.
It opens up career opportunities in the following fields:
- Museums with archaeology and cultural-historical departments and corresponding exhibitions
- Universities, research institutes or research projects
- Archaeological excavation and prospection companies
- Art dealing, auctioning
- Science journalism
- Science management
- Cultural mediation and cultural management
- Public relations
- Consultant, advisor and appraiser work
- Adult education
The program also opens up a broad spectrum of professional opportunities in fields in which the connection between specialized knowledge and professional requirements is not distinctly profiled. Conceivable opportunities are managing positions in human resources departments, for example, which have to account with increasingly globalized recruiting of new employees, or in IT. In these fields of work, the key qualifications acquired through the program are an indispensable prerequisite for professional success.
Required university degree
A bachelor's degree, acquired with a grade of at least 3.0, in one of the following programs:
- Archaeological Sciences with the major topic of Classical Archaeology (Philipps-University of Marburg)
- Bachelor's degree from other German universities, with the major topic of "Classical Archaeology"
- Bachelor's/diploma program from foreign universities, with the major topic of "Classical Archaeology"
- A comparable degree from another domestic or foreign university if the overall grade is at least equivalent to the grade "good (2.5)" from the Department of History and Cultural Studies according to §16 Paragraph 6 of the General Terms.
Bachelor's programs in other departments of classical studies can be acknowledged by the examination board on a case-by-case basis and by stipulating conditions as admission prerequisites.
Certifications of program-specific knowledge and skills to be submitted prior to admission German Skills:
Other language Skills:
Latinum or Graecum (Verification of language skills can be submitted up until the master's thesis module!)
Admission Mode Direct admission is granted with complete fulfillment of the admission requirements.
Technical questions about your application
Content-related questions about the program
Prof. Dr. Rita Amedick
- for the Department of Classical Archaeology -
Biegenstr. 11, Room 01 011
Tel.: +49 6421/28 22354
Prof. Dr. Beate Böhlendorf-Arslan
- Studienberatung für die Christliche Archäologie und Byzantinische Kunstgeschichte -
Room 02 006
Tel.: (+49) 06421 28-22347
Formal questions about your application
In case of formal questions about the application, please contact Master's Coordination with your application number (if available) at firstname.lastname@example.org.