Vera Tsukanova graduated from the Russian State University for the Humanities (Moscow) with the specialization in Theoretical Linguistics and the Arabic language in 2001. Before coming to Marburg she was employed as interpreter at the Embassy of Kuwait in Moscow, computer linguist and lecturer at her alma mater.
She taught the Arabic Language, Arabic Dialectology, Syrian Arabic, Theoretical Grammar and History of the Arabic Language and Readings in Arabic Literature. She directed the academic work of some 15 students in the field of Arabic Linguistics.
In addition to Arabic, Mrs. Tsukanova is fluent in Russian, English, German and French and studied a number of Semitic languages, such as Hebrew, Syriac, Phoenician, Amharic, Sabaic and Akkadian.
Vera Tsukanova is employed as a research associate at the Philipps University of Marburg since October 2016. Her doctoral dissertation project is concerned with the evolution of the derivational verbal system in Arabic in its Semitic context. Among the theoretical research interests of Mrs. Tsukanova are comparative morphology, discourse analysis and data mining.
1. Refleksy zadnejazychnykh smychnykh v kuvejtskom dialekte arabskogo jazyka (Reflexes of velar obstruents in the Kuwaiti dialect of Arabic). // Proceedings of the conference “Shkola molodogo vostokoveda”, pp. 55–56. Saint-Petersburg, 2004.
2. Discourse functions of the verb in the dialect of sedentary Kuwaitis. // Prochazka S., V. Ritt-Benmimoun (eds.) Between the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. Studies on Contemporary Arabic Dialects. Proceedings of the 7th AIDA Conference, held in Vienna from 5-9 September 2006, pp. 447–455. Wien, 2008.
3. Bazovyj porjadok slov i topikalizacija v arabskom jazyke (Basic word order and topicalization in Arabic.) // Kazanskij N.N. (ed.) Issledovanija po tipologii i grammatike. Acta linguistica Petropolitana, pp. 189–193. Saint-Petersburg, 2008.
4. Leksika boli v arabskom yazyke (Pain predicates in the Arabic language.) (Co-authored with Yu.V. Lukina). // Bricyn V., Rakhilina E., Reznikova T., Yavorskaya G. (eds.) Koncepr bol’ v tipologicheskom osveshenii (Concept of Pain in Typological Perspective), pp. 314 – 328. Kiev, 2009.
5. First author of the chapters “Fragmentation of Coordinated NPs”, “Serialization”, “Reduplication” in the collective monograph “Rasskazy o snovidenijakh. Korpusnoe issledovanie ustnogo russkogo diskursa (Night Dream Stories: A corpus study of spoken Russian discourse)” A.A. Kibrik, V.I. Podlesskaya (eds.). Moscow, 2009.
a. "Discourse Functions of the Verb in the Dialect of Sedentary Kuwaitis" - 7th international conference of AIDA, Vienna (Austria), 2006.
b. "The Origins of the Causative S-Stem in Hassaniya Arabic" - 33. Deutscher Orientalistentag "Asien, Afrika und Europa". Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, 18.-22. September 2017.
1 The email addresses are only selectable in the intranet. To complete an email address, merge following string ".uni-marburg.de" or "uni-marburg.de" to the end of the email address.