Main Content

Required German skills

You would like to obtain one of the following degrees from the Philipp University of Marburg:

  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • State examination
  • Ecclesiastical examination

Language requirements

The German Language Examination for University Entrance (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang - DSH), level DSH 2, must be passed before beginning the course of study. Other language certifications which are equivalent to the level DSH 2 can be found in the Rahmenordnung über Deutsche Sprachprüfungen für das Studium an deutschen Hochschulen.

Other recognized language certifications are:

  • TestDaF certificate with at least 4 points in all examination sections
  • Assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at preparatory college (Studienkolleg) with "Prüfungsteil Deutsch" passed
  • German language diploma from the Education Ministry Conference – Second Level (DSD II)
  • Goethe certificate C2: Major German language diploma (GDS)
  • School diploma which is equivalent to a German university entrance entitlement


Some master's programs require other language skills in German:

Obtaining language skills

If you do not yet have sufficient language skills, you can still apply to study. You can participate in language courses before beginning the program. We can matriculate you for a maximum of two semesters during this period. We recommend having a language level of A2 when applying.

You can participate in a language course of your choosing. The following institutions at the Philipp University of Marburg offer language courses:

Studying after the language course

You have successfully completed your language course with the corresponding examination and would like to study. To do so, you must either transfer or (re)-apply. Differentiation is made between open admission programs and restricted admission programs.

In the case of open admission programs, you can transfer directly after successfully passing the language examination. The prerequisite for this is that you are also registered as a student in a language course. You can submit the transfer application (PDF) to your designated administrator. Their name can be found at the top right on your letter of admission.

In the case of restricted admission programs (numerus clausus), you have to apply for the program again after passing the language examination. For an undergraduate program, you can re-apply in our university's portal Marvin. For a restricted admission master's program, you have to re-apply via uni-assist.

Those who are not registered for the language course or have not yet applied have to (re)-apply via uni-assist in both cases.


Please note the application deadlines. You can find them on the website of the respective program:


Undergraduate programs:

Ellen Huth, Lisa Kühtz and Sarah Langer
Biegenstr. 10, Room 02009, 02010, and 02011, 35037 Marburg

Master's programs:

Gisela Lauer, Manuela Jarschel, and Lilli Obholz
Biegenstr. 10, Room 0022, 35037 Marburg

German courses:

Monique Schauer
Lahnstr. 5, Room 3, 35037 Marburg


Tel.: +49 6421/28 22222