Required German skills
You would like to obtain one of the following degrees from the Philipp University of Marburg:
- State examination
- Ecclesiastical examination
The German Language Examination for University Entrance (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang - DSH), level DSH-2, must be passed before beginning the course of study. Other language certifications which are equivalent to the level DSH 2 can be found in the Rahmenordnung über Deutsche Sprachprüfungen für das Studium an deutschen Hochschulen.
Other recognized language certifications are:
- TestDaF certificate with at least 4 points in all examination sections
- Assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at preparatory college (Studienkolleg) with "Prüfungsteil Deutsch" passed
- German language diploma from the Education Ministry Conference – Second Level (DSD II) with C1 in all examination sections
- Goethe certificate C2: Major German language diploma (GDS)
- ÖSD C2
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
- School diploma which is equivalent to a German university entrance entitlement if the language of instruction was German
- Foreign school certificates mentioned in „Zugang von ausländischen Studienbewerbern mit ausländischem Bildungsnachweis zum Studium an deutschen Hochschulen: Nachweis der deutschen Sprachkenntnisse (Beschluss der Kultusministerkonferenz vom 02.06.1995 in der jeweils geltenden Fassung)“
Some master's programs require other language skills in German:
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen DSH 3 (TestDaF zweimal TDN 5 und zweimal TDN 4)DSH 3 (TestDaF zweimal TDN 5 und zweimal TDN 4)
- German as a Foreign Language (MA)
- Clinical Linguistics (MA)
- Speech Science (MA)
- Visual Art - Artistic Concepts (MA)
- Economics and Institutions (MS)
- Economics of the Middle East (MS)
- Functional Materials (MS)
- North American Studies (MS)
- Peace and Conflict Studies (International Double Award, MA)
- Transcultural European Outdoor Studies (TEOS, MA)
Obtaining language skills
If you do not yet have sufficient language skills, you can still apply to study. You can participate in language courses before beginning the program. We can matriculate you for two semesters during this period. We can re-register you for a third semester if you prove that you have attended language courses regulary. A re-registration for a fourth semester is only possible if you participated in one of the mentioned German language tests shortly before the start of the semester and only failed by a few points. We recommend having a language level of B1 when applying.
You can participate in a language course of your choosing. The following institutions at the Philipp University of Marburg offer language courses:
Studying after the language course
You have successfully completed your language course with the corresponding examination and would like to study. To do so, you must either transfer or (re)-apply. Differentiation is made between open admission programs and restricted admission programs.
In the case of open admission programs, you can transfer directly after successfully passing the language examination. The prerequisite for this is that you are also registered as a student in a language course. You can submit the transfer application (PDF) to your designated administrator. Their name can be found at the top right on your letter of admission.
In the case of restricted admission programs (numerus clausus), you have to apply for the program again after passing the language examination. For an undergraduate program, you can re-apply in our university's portal Marvin. For a restricted admission master's program, you have to re-apply via uni-assist.
Those who are not registered for the language course or have not yet applied have to (re)-apply via uni-assist in both cases.
Please note the application deadlines. You can find them on the website of the respective program: http://www.uni-marburg.de/studium/studienangebot.
Ellen Huth and Lisa Kühtz
Biegenstr. 10, Room 02009 and 02010, 35037 Marburg
Lilli Obholz und Linda Niese
Biegenstr. 10, Room 0022, 35037 Marburg
Wilhelm-Röpke-Str. 6, Tower A, 6. Floor, 35037 Marburg
Tel.: +49 6421/28 22222