Main Content

Foreign Language Skills at Level B1 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages of the Council of Europe"

Foreign language skills are evidenced by school reports, university certificates or language certificates.

School Reports

The foreign language must be documented over at least 4 years, up to the degree which entitles university entrance. Please upload the last 4 years' school reports at the application process at uni-assist.

Students who have learned English for the last 3 years before receiving their school leaving certificate also have an English level of B1, please provide proof.

Instead of all 4 certificates, you can also upload a document issued by your school that states the duration of your studies of the English language at school.

University Certificates or Certificates from other Higher Education Institutions

The foreign language must have been the primary language of instruction at a higher education institution over at least two years.

Language Certificates

International English Language Testing System (IELTS 4.0, 4.5, 5.0
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
TOEFL iBT 43 - 71
TOEFL PBT 460 - 542
TOEFL ITP Level 1 460 - 542
Cambridge English Language Assessment Cambridge Preliminary English Test + Result Merit or Pass (PET)
Cambridge English: Business Preliminary (BEC Preliminary)
Pearson PTE Academic 43 - 58
Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC
TOEIC Listening and Reading Test 550 - 784
TOEIC Speaking Test 120 - 159
TOEIC Writing Test 120 - 149
TOEIC Bridge Test 170 - 180
telc telc B1-certificate
UNIcert UNIcert I
Cambridge IGCSE
IGCSE 1st Language on average B1
IGCSE 2nd Language on average B1
Diplôme d'Études en Langue Française (DELF) certificate B1
Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE) B1, formerly "Nivel Inicial"
Certificazione di competenza di italiano come lingua straniera (CILS) Level 1
All languages  
UNIcert Level stage I
The European Language Certificates (TELC) Level B1
Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) Level 2
Specialist assessment or lecturer examination of language skills acquired by living abroad, university courses or self-study. Level B1

For Masters applications: The DI code for uni assist e.V. is 2727