Politikwissenschaft / Political Science (Master of Arts)
Program: Politikwissenschaft / Political Science
Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
Program length: 2 years / 4 semesters (120 ECTS points)
In the Politikwissenschaft / Political Science master's program, you will acquire in-depth, specialized knowledge in political science, and the capability to independently and autonomously manage political science issues within the broad spectrum of professional fields in political science. The master's program acquires its specialized profile from an integrated, scientific perspective, that is,
- from connecting a variety of theoretical and methodological approaches to political science,
- from the linking of international and transnational political perspectives with internal structural conflicts, democracy problems and transformation perspectives of modern societies,
- from the inclusion of social and economic problem configurations into the political science study orientation and
- from the systematic integration of gender perspectives.
Insight into the contexts of societal and political life will grant you the qualifications that open up the possibilities of professional work in various political science fields or qualify you for research or a doctorate program.
The Politikwissenschaft / Political Science master's program provides you with the opportunity to study the fields of "International and Transnational Politics," "Social Structural Conflicts and Conflict Dynamics," as well as "Democratic Theory, Democracy Research and Critical Governance Research" with the major topics "Analysis and Comparison in and of Global Regions," "Gender Research" or "Political Economy."
Jobs appropriate to the education are possible in the following professional fields:
- Political consulting (public administration, public / social services, political parties, associations,
- institutions and organizations)
- Media (incl. publishing) and public relations work
- International institutions and organizations
- Economy (industry, companies, independent / private services)
- Science (universities, research institutions)
- Political education, continuing education.
Through selective profile-building within the major topics of Analysis and Comparison in and of Global Regions, Gender Research and Political Economy, the practice-based research project and the master's thesis, qualifications can be coordinated with these fields. Intensive advisement and support from the professors of the institute ensure a highly specialized and profession-oriented education.
Required university degree Certification of a degree from a bachelor's program in Political Science or Sociology or certification of a comparable domestic professionally qualifying university degree with a minimum grade of 3.0. The university degree must include political science or sociological components of at least 120 credit points (CP).
Furthermore, knowledge of methods in empirical political science with a scope of 12 CP must be certified.
The examination board can make admission contingent on additional academic performances and/or examination performances of 30 CP at maximum being produced. In this case, the program can be extended accordingly.
Certifications of program-specific knowledge and skills to be submitted prior to admission German Skills:
Other language skills:
Skills in the English language at Level B2 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages of the Council of Europe"
Admission procedure and program-specific documents to be submitted Direct admission is granted with complete fulfillment of the admission requirements.
Technical questions about your application
Content-related questions about the program
Dr. Ingrid El Masry
Wilhelm-Röpke-Straße. 6 G, Room 00G59
Tel.: +49 6421/28 24384
Office hours: Mon 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Tue 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Central European Time) and by arrangement
Please note the current information
Formal questions about your application
In case of formal questions about the application, please contact Master's Coordination with your application number (if available) at firstname.lastname@example.org.