Scientific Presentations – Beyond Facts Fatigue
05. April 2019 09:00 – 06. April 2019 17:00
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1st floor, seminar room 01.0010
This seminar develops vital presentation skills for confident scientific paper and poster presentations. You will learn how to clarify your intentions, explore the audience‘s needs and create a stringent outline. We will focus on tools for designing clear, convincing and engaging content. The course will guide you in creating dynamic narrative and, if necessary, in enhancing the clarity of your visual support. You will create a short presentation of your choice (about 5 min.). A video recording of your presentation will provide you with direct feedback about your performance.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- You are able to use grids that help to define your objectives for your presentation, to explore audience expectations and adjust to them (trainer input, partner interview, mind-map, question-grids).
- You know how to apply plotting tools to organize a persuasive outline and goal-oriented content (trainer input, mind-map, five-sentence-method).
- You are able to mould your facts into an engaging and effective narrative using storytelling elements (examples, storytelling).
- You are familiar with steps for clarifying your visuals and handling questions well (guidelines, exercise to apply a model).
- You are able to refine your awareness of stage presence and body language with the help of a video recording (trainer input, exercise, personal video analysis with feedback).
- You know techniques to find calm and confidence (exercises).
Please note that this is not an English language course. Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency is required.
April 5, 2019, 9 am–5 pm, and
April 6, 2019, 9 am–5 pm
Doctoral candidates and postdocs from all disciplines
At firstname.lastname@example.org, deadline March 21, 2019
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the beginning of the course without providing specific reasons. Thereafter, you will be required to pay the attendance fee even if you do not attend the course.
Dr. Constanze Armbrecht
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Life and Natural Sciences