Main Content

Student Jobs 

Video: Philipps-Universität Marburg

Working during your studies has many advantages. You can earn some extra money, gain valuable work experience, expand your professional network and get to know the German job market and working culture.

If you are interested in learning more about our services, workshops, tips and information on how to enter the German job market, please follow this link:  

Can I work during my studies?

In general, students are allowed to work during their studies. However, different rules apply depending on your nationality and your current resident status in Germany. While students who are citizens of countries that are part of the European Union, the EEA and Switzerland stand practically on equal terms with German students and have free access to the German job market, students who do not come from the EU, EEA or Switzerland are generally allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days per year (140/280 days from March 2024). Students with a refugee background can work depending on the status of their asylum process and students who are attending the Studienkolleg can only work in the semester break and only with approval of the immigration office.

How much can I work?

Students are generally allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. If you decide to work more hours, you will lose the privileges of your student status and will have to pay full insurance contributions (pension, care and health insurance). However, there are exceptions: Students can work more hours on weekends, during the lecture-free period or for a short and limited period of time.

International students who do not come from the EU, EEA or Switzerland are currently allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days a year (140/280 days from March 2024). If you are employed at your university as a student assistant or “Studentische Hilfskraft” you can work without restrictions since it is assumed that jobs in the ‘academic sphere’ have a positive impact on your studies. Make sure to inform your immigration officer before deciding to work more than 120 full or 240 half days to avoid any problems.

If you work a “mini-job” with a maximum salary 538 €/month you do not have to pay taxes. If you earn more than 538 € per month, you might need to pay taxes and social security contributions including health insurance, nursing care, unemployment insurance and possibly contributions to the pension fund. Depending on how much you earn in a year, you may have to pay income taxes. As of January 2024, you can earn up to around 11.604 €/year tax free (make sure to check the exact limit on a regular basis). Be careful if you receive BAföG or a scholarship because there are limits on how much you are allowed to earn.

Where can I work?

You can work in any field of your interest. Self-employment is not allowed for international students and has to be explicitly approved by the immigration office.

When starting your work experience in Germany you might be interested in gaining general work experience and polishing your German language skills. Later on in your studies, we recommend searching for more advanced jobs that match your field of study. This will help you landing your dream job after graduating from your study program.

See also