Speak Up! — Rhetoric Basics
22. Juni 2018 09:00 – 23. Juni 2018 18:00
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1st floor, seminar room 01.0010
We need effective and persuasive communication in order to share information, spread research and affect others. Besides scientific expertise, we want to convey self-assurance and professionalism. It's easy to speak up! This seminar develops vital rhetoric skills that enable you to perform confidently in a variety of situations in which public speaking is required (from conference settings and scientific discussions to interviews, etc.). We will explore effective ingredients for speaking up with zest and integrity, then put them to action together. This seminar offers a particular focus on performance techniques (stage presence, body language, space, voice) and includes a video recording.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Preparing your ground: you are able to apply methods to clarify your communication purpose, goals and values (trainer input, partner discussion).
- Strengthening your arguments: you know how to use basic rhetorical structures, positive language and stylistic devices for convincing argumentation, flow and memorability (examples, exercises, individual speech).
- Thinking on your feet: you are capable of using a simple grid for answering all questions. Having explored ways to deal with negative audience responses, you can define your personal strategy for this case—words, body language, attitude (examples, exercise).
- Taking your space: you are familiar with methods for greater stage presence, positive body language and a choice of gestures and states (exercises, individual speech, video analysis).
- Speaking up: you are able to connect with your purpose, passion and message as you engage with your audience. You know how to give your voice room using basic voice training elements and how to relax using methods for stress reduction (trainer input, partner and group exercises, individual speech, feedback).
Please note that this is not an English language course. Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency is required.
June 22, 2018, 9 am–6 pm, and
June 23, 2018, 9 am–6 pm
Doctoral candidates and postdocs from all disciplines
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the course begins without providing specific reasons. Thereafter, you will be required to pay the attendance fee even if you do not attend the course.
Dr. Constanze Armbrecht
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Humanities and Social Sciences