MArburg University Research Academy (MARA) supports its members in organizing academic events. To this end, MARA grants a limited amount of funding for the organization of academic conferences, colloquia, lecture series, and similar events. This line of funding cannot be used to support individual conference participation; for this purpose, travel assistance is available.
MARA makes a special effort to support its working groups and encourages them to initiate academic conferences and presentations.
What Kind of Events Can Receive Funding?
Funding is granted for events that primarily benefit doctoral candidates, especially those in Marburg:
- Funding can only be granted if it is apparent that the planning and realization of the event are mainly in the hands of doctoral candidates of Philipps-Universität Marburg.
- The content and elements of the conference should relate, specifically and individually, to the interests of doctoral candidates in Marburg. For this reason, the regular conferences of national or international academic societies and similar events are excluded from funding.
- Funding is provided for group events with open access, i.e., events that are open to attendance by members of other working groups or universities as well; for instance, colloquia with restricted attendance cannot be funded under this program.
Amount of Funding
Within the limits of its financial means, MARA can offer funding for the above-mentioned events in the amount of up to 1,000 EUR. Upon application, up to an additional 250 EUR can be granted for childcare arrangements.
Which Items Can Be Funded?
Conference funding can, for instance, be used for the following items:
- Speakers' travel and accommodation expenses
- Speaker fees
- Costs of printing flyers and posters
The following items cannot be funded:
- Publication costs
- Catering costs
- Fees of speakers who are members of or affiliated with Philipps-Universität Marburg
Funding for Care
Funding for care is available for the organizing team to provide childcare for children up to one year old, for older children younger than age 15 outside of the regular operating hours of childcare centers, for nonresidents also during regular operating hours, and/or care of relatives in need of care, as documented by a medical certificate, to the extent that this care is not provided by relatives. These funds can be used, for instance, to pay for a caregiver on an hourly basis outside of the regular hours of public childcare services and for nonresidents also during regular hours. Philipps-Universität Marburg's family service offers practical information and tips for arranging childcare.
Informal applications can be submitted by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) year-round but must be received by MARA at least four months prior to the first day of the conference. Please include a short proposal with an explanatory statement, a cost budget, and contact information for the contact person.
Funding will be granted up to a specified amount for each individual item. Please list each set of related items individually (e.g., printing costs). In case of larger conferences, applicants are required to document that they are also seeking funding from other sources.
Please note that once funding is granted, any exceedance of the approved amount requires a new application. Reallocating funds among individual items within the limits of the amount of funding approved or dedicating funds to any other than the approved purposes invariably requires submitting an application for the redesignation of funds. A redesignation of funds is only possible in the event of unexpected changes and only once per instance of funding. The sole exception is minor reallocations of up to 50 EUR, which can be approved informally by the MARA Managing Director upon consultation. Approval of conference funding rests with the Executive Director.
Please get in touch with us!
Dr. Jan-Paul Klünder
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Tel.: +49 (0)6421 28 21299