Application for a first semester in an undergraduate study program with a foreign school leaving certificate
Most people who obtained their school leaving certificate (which enables them to study in a university in their home country) have to apply via uni-assist.
If you already know that you have to attend the classes of a Studienkolleg before you can begin your studies, or if you would like to be enrolled for German language classes before your studies, you still have to apply for the subject that you would like to study later on. uni-assist evaluates your application and then forwards it to the Philipps-Universität Marburg if you meet our requirements.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Exceptions: Who does not have to apply via uni-assist?Exceptions: Who does not have to apply via uni-assist?
- Applicants with a German university entrance certificate may apply directly at the Philipps-Universität Marburg.
- Citizens of a member state of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland or prospective students with a German “Abitur,” who would like to study Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy. Please apply via hochschulstart.de.
- Prospective students that would like to apply for a higher semester. More information is provided in the German language only.
- Degree holders from German schools abroad or DSD-Schulen who have to pass the FSP at a Studienkolleg (Study Prepatory Center) before studying at a university. Please contact Ms. Heibrock.
- Anyone who is interested in international exchange programs or PhD programs. Please contact the International Office.
Please submit your completed application to uni-assist before the application deadline. Otherwise, it will not be considered. We recommend that you send the documents about six weeks prior to the end of the deadline, so there will still be some time for queries.
Application period for restricted study programs (NC):
- Summer semester: November 1st until January 15th
- Winter semester: May 1st until July 15th
Application period for non-restricted study programs:
- Summer semester: November 1st until February 15th
- Winter semester: May 1st until August 15th
Application period for those who have to pass the “Feststellungsprüfung” (assessment examination) at the Studienkolleg:
- Summer semester: September 1st until October 15th
- Winter semester: March 1st until April 15th
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen 4 steps for your application via uni-assist4 steps for your application via uni-assist
1) Create an online application
- Register on the uni-assist website. You may use an existing account if you already have one.
- Do not forget your login data.
2) Online application
- Enter the “Applicant information” and “Educational history”.
- Please choose the Philipps-Universität Marburg and the semester in which you would like to start your studies in the course catalogue.
- You may apply for up to 3 study programs at our university from your search results.
- Your selection list (accessible via the packet icon at the top right corner) gives you an overview of your chosen study programs. Please answer the additional application-related questions.
3) Paying the handling fees
- The handling fees for an application via uni-assist equal €75.00 for the first university. The fees for each additional application within the same semester are €30.00.
- By clicking on “Proceed to checkout” and “To payment process” you can choose your method of payment and transfer the application handling fees.
- After that, your application form will be send to uni-assist electronically.
4) Sending the application to uni-assist
School leaving certificates, overviews of grades and other certificates have to be handed in as officially authenticated copies. We accept documents in German or English language. Documents written in other languages have to be translated by a sworn translator.
Please send the following documents to uni-assist e. V., D-11507 Berlin:
- Your school leaving certificate, which enables you to study in your home country. If you already started a study program in your home country, please add certificates or transcripts that you have received so far (https://www.uni-assist.de/tools/)
- Evidence of your proficiency in German
- Evidence of your proficiency of other languages and skills, if this is required for your desired study program (Please have a look at the website of the study program)
- A copy of your passport.
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen What happens after I have applied via uni-assist?What happens after I have applied via uni-assist?
- The evaluation of your documents may take up to six weeks. The current processing times by uni-assist are published here: http://www.uni-assist.de/news.html.
- If you fulfill all formal requirements, uni-assist will forward your application to us. Uni-assist informs you about this step via e-mail.
- After uni-assist has forwarded your application, you will receive a letter of admission with further information or a letter of rejection from the University of Marburg.
- With a letter of admission you can request a visa. Some embassies also accept the e-mail from uni-assist, confirming your application.
- If you do not meet the formal requirements, you will also get an e-mail from uni-assist. Uni-assist cannot send your documents back. You may apply again for the next semester.
- If you receive a letter of admission from the University of Marburg but do not enroll, you have to reapply via uni-assist for the next semester.
We are happy to help you with any questions concerning an application or admission for our undergraduate study programs.
Dezernat III Studium und Lehre
Biegenstraße 10, Room 02009 and 02010
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 9 to 12 (Due to prevention measurements to limit the spread of the Corona virus, our office hour is currently cancelled)
Inhalt ausklappen Inhalt einklappen Further information (mostly in German)Further information (mostly in German)
- Information about school leaving certificates.
- Information about the Studienkolleg and about German courses.
Studying in Marburg
- Orientation brochure for international students
- Student life in Marburg
- Travelling to Marburg for the first time
- Admissions for restricted study programs (NC) in past semesters
General information about studying and living in Germany, scholarships, etc: