City and Employer
Located at the heart of Hesse, Marburg is the host city of Philipps-Universität Marburg, the oldest institution of its kind in the State. Marburg is also the capital of the district of Marburg-Biedenkopf, which currently has around 74,000 inhabitants. Both Kassel and Frankfurt can easily be reached from Marburg and are only one hour away by car or public transport. Marburg is a vibrant city that offers a vast array of events, including plenty of culture and history.
For more detailed information about the city, visit the City of Marburg’s website (Stadt Marburg - Lage Struktur und Daten_german).
Philipps-Universität Marburg as an employer
(Number of students updated in 4/2018)
A faster-than-average course of study, close ties to recognized research groups and exemplary promotion of young scientists - all these features will characterize your studies at Philipps-Universität Marburg, Hesse’s oldest higher education institution with currently around 25,000 students. The challenging environment and medieval character of the old town have since long attracted researchers and students from all over the world. Numerous interdisciplinary meeting points enrich the university’s scientific focal points: research into tumors, synthetic microbiology, materials science, neurosciences, linguistics and earth sciences as well as conflict research and Middle Eastern studies. With twelve Leibniz Prize winners, Philipps-Universität Marburg can also count itself among the leading research institutions in the German State of Hesse.
The university is a public institution under the State of Hesse and has 4,500 staff.
Working at Philipps-Universität Marburg has many benefits (all links go to german):
- Certified family-friendly employer (part-time positions, child care during school holidays)
- Recruitment of disabled staff in the Hesse State Administration
- LandesTicket for all civil servants of the State of Hesse
- Equal pay - Hesse Collective Agreement
- Career development (training)
- Family service
- Pension Institution of the Federal Republic and the Federal States (Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder - VBL) (Company pension fund)
- College sports center (sports programs)