English in Academics
Veranstaltungsreihe mit neun Einzelterminen | Termin 5 von 9
Ort: MARA, seminar room 01.0030, Deutschhausstr. 11-13
Seminar leader: Carrie B. Dohe, Ph.D.
English has become the dominant language in the academic world, especially in international settings. Whether scholars wish to publish in a leading journal, discuss their research at an international conference, or collaborate with scholars in other countries, English is the usual vehicle of communication. This seminar is designed for postgraduate scholars and researchers who wish to improve their English skills for a host of typical academic tasks, from small talk at conferences, to applying for positions, to writing formal emails.
After successful participation in this course, you will have
• learned valuable tips about chairing a session at an academic conference and practiced the chairperson’s roles of introducing presenters, keeping time, and moderating the question session;
• gained experience in writing formal emails and making telephone calls, using professionally appropriate expressions for greetings, content, and endings;
• practiced linking connectors and “signposting” language to make the delivery of a presentation smooth and easy for an audience to follow;
• created an arsenal of “small talk” topics that allow you to network successfully at conference receptions and other informal professional situations;
• polished an effective three-sentence introduction of your research to potential new colleagues (the “elevator speech”);
• prepared a CV and cover letter in English and learned important differences between not only German Lebensläufe and English CVs, but between British and American English spelling and punctuation;
• learned verbal strategies for coping with a variety of difficult situations.
A certificate will be given to those participants attending at least six sessions.
Please check our website for the current schedule.
Each session will last for two full hours. There will be a total of nine sessions.
1. 16.10.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
2. 30.10.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
3. 06.11.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
4. 13.11.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
5. 20.11.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
6. 27.11.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
7. 04.12.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
8. 11.12.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
9. 18.12.2012, 6 pm – 8 pm
Doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers in all disciplines
Maximum number of 12 participants
Internal 50.00 Euros
External 150.00 Euros
In advance a placement test has to be taken (www.uni-marburg.de/sprachenzentrum/lehrangebot/englisch/c-test-graduiertenzentrum/document_view)
Deadline 14 days before the course
Dr. Karin Awe
Tel.: 06421 28 21320