Main Content

Central User Account for Staff Members (Staff-Account)

As an employee of Philipps-Universität or an affiliated institution (including external users), you can use a variety of centrally provided IT services with your personal staff account. The scope of services varies depending on the user group.

The account will be requested by your faculty/department at the time of your employment, the access data will usually be sent to your office address. The staff report form (PDF form) (German version) may help you and your faculty/department to collect the required data in advance.

For legal reasons, we reserve the right to request a renewal each year or semester if no contract data is available in the SAP personnel system.

  • Note for doctoral candidates

    Initial request: Doctoral candidates please ask their doctoral supervisor to fill in the web form under his/her workgroup. In addition, you must have self-registered in Marvin as a doctoral candidate in advance (and the acceptance must have been confirmed by the promotion office). Important: The provision of an account before formal acceptance as a doctoral candidate (e.g. for writing an exposé) is not possible for licensing reasons, but you are welcome to use the anonymous research PCs on site in the University Library for literature research in online media.

    Annual renewal of doctoral status: According to the document “Allgemeine Bestimmungen für Promotionsordnungen”, you have to confirm in Marvin each year that your (contact) data is still up to date and that you continue your work on your doctoral project. This should be done annually between October 1st and December 1st. You will also receive a reminder email from the Marvin team for this purpose in early October or November.
    Please log in at with your staff account using the item "Login with university account" (Anmelden mit Uni-Account). Then follow the menu items "User information" (Benutzer-Informationen) - "View own data" (Eigene Daten ansehen) and check there whether the details are correct. You can correct your contact data yourself in the "Contact data" (Kontaktdaten) tab.
    Then please follow the menu items "Studies offered" (Studienangebot) - "Doctorate" (Promotion) and there the link "Update doctorate data" (Aktualisierung Promotionsdaten). Then confirm that your data is up-to-date.
    Just a few working days after your confirmation, your existing Uni-Account (Staff) will be extended automatically, without the need to fill out a written application.

    Loss of doctoral status: If you have already successfully defended your doctoral thesis (and only want to revise it for publication), the doctoral procedure is considered completed and we are only allowed to grant you access to the IT systems of the University of Marburg upon request, but no longer remote access to licensed online media and software downloads from third-party providers (i.e. VPN, Shibboleth and Wifi access will be disabled).

  • Note for student assistants or students

    Student assistants can usually use their existing students account. Due to the effort involved, we can only provide an additional Uni-Account (Staff) in exceptional cases:

    • Students from other universities who work as student assistant at the University of Marburg (primary account)
    • Student assistants of the university administration, who work mobile with a service laptop (access to administration VPN)
    • Student assistants of the university computer center (access to HRZ ticket system)
    • Students participating in high-performance computing (access to MaRC3a and MaSC)

    Please specify the working contract on the web form and maybe add a short explanation.

  • Note for external people

    External employees are assigned to an organizational unit of the Philipps-University Marburg (or an affiliated institution), but may additionally add their own company address. The web form must be filled in by an employee of the Philipps-University Marburg (or an affiliated institution).

    The access data will be sent in-house as a letter to the respective work group. External delivery is not possible, but you can use our password reset options (see FAQ).

    There is a separate application process for external lecturers in the faculty of medicine.

  • Exceptions: What you cannot use the central user account for

    At workstation PCs in offices of the university the Staff Account does not work, there you need a locally managed workstation account (AD-Account). The Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics and the School of Medicine as well as the University Administration also offer local e-mail services and/or web space. Your responsible IT administrator will be happy to advise you.

    Some IT services (e.g. Marvin, Electronic Media, Software Offer) are linked to the central user account, but for legal reasons are only available to certain persons or user groups. Some authorizations must also be applied for separately. More details are documented in the description of the respective IT service.

Target group



You belong to at least one of the following user groups:

Employees of the Philipps-University Marburg:

  • Civil servants or employees covered by collective bargaining agreements
    (State of Hesse, represented by Philipps-University Marburg or UKGM Marburg)
  • apl. Professors
  • Honorary professors
  • Private lecturers
  • Habilitation candidates
  • Lecturers (except FB 20, see external lecturers at the School of Medicine)
  • Doctoral candidates (formal acceptance and self-registration in Marvin required)
  • Guest scientists
  • Scholarship holders
  • Interns
  • Student assistants (in exceptional cases)

Employees of an affiliated institution:

  • Archivschule Marburg
  • AWMF-Institut für med. Wissensmanagement (AWMF-IMWi) at Fachbereich Medizin
  • Forschungsstelle für Personalschriften
  • Hans-von-Soden-Institut (HvSI)
  • Herder-Institut (HI)
  • Hessisches Institut für Landesgeschichte (HIL)
  • Hessisches Landesarchiv (HLA)
  • Institut für Genossenschaftswesen (IfG)
  • Institut für Psychotherapie-Ausbildung Marburg (IPAM) at Fachbereich Psychologie
  • Katholisch-theologisches Seminar (KS)
  • Kinder- und Jugendlichen-Institut für Psychotherapie-Ausbildung Marburg (KJ-IPAM) at Fachbereich Psychologie
  • Kinder- und Jugendlichen-Psychotherapie-Ambulanz Marburg (KJ-PAM) am Fachbereich Psychologie
  • Psychotherapie-Ambulanz Marburg (PAM) am Fachbereich Psychologie
  • Studentenwerk Marburg
  • Von Behring-Röntgen-Stiftung

The above mentioned institutions are only provided with some basic IT services by the University Computer Center, access to external software and online media is usually not possible.

External employees:

You work as an external employee for Philipps-Universität Marburg or an affiliated institution, e.g.

  • Company
  • Contractor
  • Cooperation partner
  • Employee of another university

There is a separate application process for external lecturers in the School of Medicine.


Some account actions (e.g. changing a password or email address) can be easily done by yourself for your existing Staff Account via web form:

Electronic or writte requests are offered for the following actions: