Writing Lab – Getting Published Abroad in the Humanities and Social Sciences
06. May 2019 14:00 – 06. May 2019 18:00
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1st floor, seminar room 01.0030
Publishing research in English, in English-language journals, and with English-language publishers has been gaining importance as a means of reaching a wide academic audience worldwide. The course provides information on publishing your dissertation and other research in English-speaking countries. What options are there (e.g., publication of books, in journals, and as electronic files)?
Intended Learning Outcomes
- You will be aware of the possibilities of publishing your work in English and some important differences between publishing your dissertation with Anglo-Saxon and German publishers (presentation, discussion).
- You will know how to go about publishing your work in English and what you must expect if you intend to do so (presentation, discussion).
- You will be familiar with aspects to consider when choosing a book publisher or journal and things to watch out for when preparing and submitting your manuscript.
- You will have an understanding of how the peer-review process works and how to deal with it effectively.
Please note that this is not an English language course. Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency is required.
Please note that our additional course “Schreibwerkstatt – Veröffentlichen in Deutschland” will take place on the same day, 9 am–1 pm.
May 6, 2019, 2 pm–6 pm
Doctoral candidates from the humanities and social sciences
Maximum number of 10 participants
Free of charge
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the beginning of the course without providing specific reasons. In this case, please send us a brief notice so that we can make your place available to someone else on the waiting list.
Have you heard about our individual writing consultation? Would you like to improve your English writing skills? Our experienced consultant, Dr. Fabienne Quennet, gives advice to our members on all issues concerning the writing of a dissertation.
Stephan Elkins, www.english-academic-writing.de
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Humanities and Social Sciences