Writing Lab – Paragraph and Sentence Structures in English Texts
28. May 2019 13:00 – 28. May 2019 17:00
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1st floor, seminar room 01.0030
If paragraphs and sentences are the backbone of good writing, you need to know how they can best be structured to support your message. In this workshop, you will be investigating paragraph and sentence structures in written academic English.
You will learn about how culture affects academic writing, what paragraphs are for and how they can be successfully structured, and what readers expect of your sentences. You will have the opportunity to implement what has been discussed in your own text and discuss that text briefly with the trainer. What you learn will help in the process of producing a reader-friendly academic text.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- You have information on how your educational/ cultural background could affect how you view academic writing (trainer input).
- You can write paragraphs and sentences that flow smoothly and cater for your readers’ expectations (group discussions, exercises in pairs, trainer input).
- You can review and edit a piece of your own text to make it more reader-friendly (individual work, trainer input).
- You feel more at ease when writing in English.
Please bring with you a text you have written in English. It can be of any length and doesn’t need to be perfect. You will be working on it during the workshop.
Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency is required.
May 28, 2019, 1 pm–5 pm
Doctoral candidates from the life and natural sciences
Maximum number of 10 participants
Free of charge
At firstname.lastname@example.org, deadline May 13, 2019
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the beginning of the course without providing specific reasons. In this case, please send us a brief notice so that we can make your place available to someone else on the waiting list.
Have you heard about our individual writing consultation? Would you like to improve your English writing skills? Our experienced consultant, Dr. Fabienne Quennet, gives advice to our members on all issues concerning the writing of a dissertation.
Anne Wegner, www.write-english.de
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Life and Natural Sciences