Get that Job! – Applying & Interviewing for Positions in Industry and Research
17. April 2020 09:00 – 17. April 2020 17:00
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1st floor, seminar room 01.0010
You’ve heard it often: after your PhD, you will be facing a highly competitive employment market. What's more, obtaining a job in industry or a postdoctoral position in a research institute can be additionally challenging when you need to apply in English. That is where this workshop is meant to help. It focuses on the distinctive aspects of applying for industry jobs and short-term research placements with any organization worldwide which follows Anglo-American hiring conventions, and it provides training in navigating selected stages of that process, including creating your curriculum vitae, writing your cover letter and presenting yourself convincingly in the interview. The workshop is held in English by a native speaker.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- You are, by examining selected aspects of the curriculum vitae and assimilating insights into your own profile, familiar with principles which can help you make your CV clearer and more impressive (handouts, writing practice, feedback).
- You have an overview of formal matters relevant when writing a cover letter as well as insights into choosing and structuring the letter’s content effectively (handouts, written practice, feedback).
- You have improved interviewing skills and are able to apply to your own situation lessons learned from the interview experience of others (presentation, role-plays, feedback).
- You are aware of several resources you can explore for positions (handout).
Please note that this is not an English language course. Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency or higher is required.
April 17, 2020, 9 am–5 pm
Doctoral candidates and postdocs from all disciplines
At email@example.com, deadline April 2, 2020
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the beginning of the course without providing specific reasons. Thereafter, you will be required to pay the attendance fee even if you do not attend the course.
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Life and Natural Sciences