National Research Funding and Scholarships for Postdocs
The most important national funding institutions for junior scholars are the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft – DFG) and the other large German foundations.
1. German Research Foundation (DFG)
- to conduct a research project; this can include funding for one's own position.
- for conducting a research project abroad.
- to enable junior scholars to lead their own independent junior research group.
- for a scholarship or a professorship if the requirements for tenure are met.
Applications for these programs can be submitted at any time.
2. Foundations and Other Sources of Funding
– promotes academic collaboration between outstanding researchers in Germany and abroad.
- – for postdocs from Germany, to promote a research stay at a research institution abroad.
- for postdocs from abroad, to promote a research stay at a research institution in Germany.
– promotes research and teaching in science and technology.
– promotes research in the following areas of support: history, language & culture, state, economy & society, medicine and natural sciences, as well as in the interdisciplinary area image–sound–language.
- for research projects shortly after completing one's doctoral degree.
– promotes interdisciplinary research to clarify interrelations between man, environment, and technology.
- for postdoctoral scholars, assistant professors, and young managers of new research projects to finance research assistants, technical equipment, research trips, or attendance at conferences.
– represents the German scientific community in international bodies.
- for scientists from natural science and medicine from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
– promotes the international exchange of students and researchers.
- – provides funding for a researcher position at a German university, including a period spent abroad and an integration phase in Germany.
– natural scientific-technical and medical-biological top-level research in the fields of energy, earth & environment, health, aeronautics, space, and transport, matter, and key techologies.
- provides junior researchers with funding for their own position (head of a junior research group).
– top-level basic research in the natural sciences, life sciences, humanities, and social sciences.
- provide junior researchers with funding for their own position (head of an "institute-specific" or a "centrally announced" junior research group).
Please be mindful of the respective application deadlines.