Doing Your PhD in Germany
02. July 2018 09:30 – 02. July 2018 17:30
Philipps-Universität Marburg, MARA, F|05, Deutschhausstraße 11+13, 1. OG, Seminar room 01.0030
This workshop pursues two main objectives. The first is to give international PhD students an overview of the scientific landscape and university structures in Germany: What is the difference between universities and universities of applied sciences? Are universities the only place where you can do research? Where does all the money come from? We will also look behind the scenes: What does the structure of a university look like? Which institutions or departments should a PhD candidate know about?
The second aim of the workshop is to deal with techniques for planning a PhD: How to come to terms with the many tasks and limited time? What does this mean for your thesis? We will approach your PhD studies as a project that needs to be planned and make use of the basic tools of project management for this purpose. Throughout the workshop, we will take a closer look at the German scientific culture and its differences to other cultures. Additionally, we will have enough time to discuss your questions.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- You will have basic knowledge of the German scientific landscape (trainer input, work in small groups).
- You will be familiar with the structures of a German university (group work, presentation).
- You will be acquainted with basic techniques of time planning and will be able to apply them to your scientific work (trainer input, group work, individual work).
- You will be aware of cultural differences and their impact on your scientific surroundings (discussion, trainer input).
Please note that this is not an English language course. Proficiency in English at the B2 level of competency is required.
July 2, 2018, 9:30 am–5:30 pm
International doctoral candidates from all disciplines
Maximum number of 10 participants
Free of charge
This event is funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and financed by the Federal Foreign Office.
We kindly ask you to confirm your registration to make it binding. You may cancel your registration up to twelve days before the beginning of the course without providing specific reasons. In this case, please send us a brief notice so that we can make your place available to someone else on the waiting list.
Dr. Jan Schmidt, www.janschmidt-training.de
MArburg University Research Academy (MARA)
Doctoral Program for Humanities and Social Sciences