Main contacts

Programme coordination: Dr. Ansgar Dorenkamp

Study abroad: Dr. Dietrich Göttlicher

Student Advisor at the Department of Geography: Prof. Dr. Sören Becker

Student Advisor at the Department of Business and Economics:
In case of questions regarding module allocation and administrative matters: Dr. Regine Reck
In case of content-related questions: Prof. Dr. Björn Vollan

Internships: please look for an individual contact person at the Department of Geography or the Department of Business and Economics

FAQs on the Master Sustainable Development

The collection of frequently asked questions listed here is a compilation of questions that students on the M.Sc. Sustainable Development programme may typically have in the course of their studies. The list of frequently asked questions will be continuously expanded.

Modules and Registration


Study abroad

MA thesis and colloquium

  • On what topic should I write my Master Thesis?

    In your Master Thesis you are to work autonomously on a topic from the field of sustainable development, applying scientific concepts and methods you have encountered throughout the programme. In practice, you can either develop a topic from your own interest or ask your potential supervisor for a potential topic.

  • How do I find a supervisor for my Master Thesis?

    You can choose a supervisor to work with and develop your topic with them. Members of teaching staff are eligible as supervisors, as are researchers with a completed PhD. We recommend looking out for disciplinary and methodological fit. It might make sense contacting potential supervisors early, so they can plan their resources.

  • How much time do I have for working on my Master Thesis?

    Admission to the Master's thesis requires that at least 60 credit points have been previously acquired. As soon as you have officially registered the Master's thesis by using this form, you have 6 months to complete your Master Thesis. Therefore, the Master Thesis values as 30 credits. If you encounter issues, i.e. regarding unforeseen problems with field-work/data procurement, this period can be extended for up to 20% upon justified application by the candidate.

  • Which language should I use in my Master Thesis?

    The Master Thesis should be written in English. If you wish to write in another language you should seek agreement with your supervisor. You will also need confirmation from the Examination Committee (“Prüfungsausschuss”).

  • What is the Interdisciplinary Colloquium?

    The interdisciplinary colloquium is supposed to accompany you when writing your Master Thesis (4th semester). The idea is that students present their thesis in an advanced stadium (in the analytical phase). So, you may enrol for the colloquium when you are already working on your thesis, or start working on it. Beside presenting the approach of their project, student are to act as a discussant to one presentation.

  • Are there PhD opportunities available?

    As of now, there is no structured PhD programme in the field of sustainable development in Marburg, and most PhD students are working on externally funded projects or are funded by a scholarship. The best approach is to signal your interest in pursuing a PhD to your supervisor. They will inform you about capacities and options for funding.

Other support